The City of Toronto's Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division will be hosting the first public meeting for St. Andrew's Playground Park Improvements project on September 18, 2019, from 6:30-8PM at Metro Hall (55 John Street), Room 310. A project update along with draft concept plans will be presented. Learn more here
DTAH has been selected as the design lead for improvements to St. Andrew’s Playground Park, a 1.45 acre park with heritage significance located at 450 Adelaide St West in downtown Toronto. The project includes a revitalization of the existing park that will provide updated amenities, improved programming, and better connectivity to the surrounding area, as well as an expansion of the park through the transformation of the parking lot on the western edge into City parkland. St. Andrew’s Playground is part of a larger park and open space network, and this project will act as an important next step in implementing the City's new Downtown Plan and its accompanying Parks and Public Realm Plan. The City of Toronto’s Parks, Forestry and Recreation Department is providing overall leadership for this project.
Located within the King-Spadina District, St. Andrew’s Playground Park is an important public amenity for a dynamic and evolving community. The park features mature trees, flower gardens, seating and portico, picnic tables, a playground, passive areas with lawn, and a dog off-leash area. The park is also historically significant in that it was the site of the City’s first public playground for children, located next to the site of the former St. Andrew’s Market, a public market hall which was built in 1850 but was demolished in 1932.