Downtown Brampton lies in the Etobicoke Creek floodplain, where watercourses and ravines are the defining feature of this region. For decades, the city had turned its back to this waterway, channelizing the Creek and diverting it away from the downtown core.
The Brampton Riverwalk Open Space and Urban Design Master Plan (UDMP) seeks to reintegrate this important waterway into the fabric of downtown Brampton, restoring natural ecologies while enhancing social amenities.
City of Brampton
- Canadian Society of Landscape Architects, National Award of Excellence, 2023
The plan exemplifies City of Brampton’s commitment to fostering healthy, resilient and environmentally sustainable communities, and establishes a strong vision based on the following objectives:
- Remove flood threat and reduce disaster risks
- Unlock the downtown development potential
- Improve the downtown open space system
- Meaningfully improve the environment, livability and sustainability of downtown Brampton
- Advance the downtown’s sustainable transportation and mobility network
- Produce a landmark landscape feature